This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Emily Brown 1 month, 4 weeks ago.

• Author

Mystie Winckler
    Keymaster

If we don’t intentionally manage our time and priorities, we could end up cleaning the house all day, every day, and never be done. That’s why many of us just don’t do anything at all.

Let’s talk about strategies for keeping up with little things that drive us crazy or that need our attention that we’d rather ignore.

We can loop schedule, which means making a list and doing the next thing each chunk of cleaning time.

We should also reserve cleaning time – give ourselves limited time so the end is in sight and we’re motivated to go quickly rather than drag it on.

So, I’ve reserved 4-5pm as my home time – I’m not cleaning that whole hour, because I have children and some dinner prep might be in there, as well. :) But I have to stop doing whatever it is I was doing, make sure I’m home, get off my bottom, etc. at 4pm. (Set an alarm!)

I fold and put away the laundry (10-15 minutes).
    Do my task assigned to that day of the week (10-15 minutes).

And then I have a list in my clipboard area of about 8 tasks I’d like done, but don’t fit into the regular routines. For example, I have a closet in my kitchen with serving and baking dishes that looked about to avalanche. I put it in order while dinner was in the oven the other night.

Sometimes, things come up that need to be done. If they can wait, I’ll take care of it during this time. If I have time to do something else after the day’s chores and before 5pm EHAP (generally depends on dinner prep), I’ll do something from that list. It’s my goal to get through the list this interval (6 weeks). Anything I don’t do, I’ll have to do during break week. 8 things, 6 weeks – and the real benefit is not spinning my wheels in the afternoon wondering what I should/could/might be doing next.

simplyBrite
    Participant

We have reserved the 4-5pm time for EHAP as well (thanks to you, for the last 2+ years). My question is about those extra mom chores- where do you note/record those so you can come back to it when you have time? I’m so tempted to go back in time to index cards bc I’m so visual, and even now with an iPhone, apps are just so unappealing to me. I hate that the kids see me staring at my phone so much, even for a good purpose! My main concern is that I don’t spend too much time on the system and not enough time implementing it 😂. An easy temptation for me. You’ve gone back and forth between digital and paper- any tips?

simplyBrite
    Participant

We have reserved the 4-5pm time for EHAP as well (thanks to you, for the last 2+ years). My question is about those extra mom chores- where do you note/record those so you can come back to it when you have time? I’m so tempted to go back in time to index cards bc I’m so visual, and even now with an iPhone, apps are just so unappealing to me. I hate that the kids see me staring at my phone so much, even for a good purpose! My main concern is that I spend too much time on the system and not enough time implementing it 😂. An easy temptation for me. You’ve gone back and forth between digital and paper- any tips?

Emily Brown
    Participant

I’ve gone back to have each day with an assigned focus (moderate cleaning/home blessing, heavy cleaning, quiet/desk, free day, etc), and while I have an idea of what should be involved in the home blessing day, I’ve been at a loss of what to do on a “heavy cleaning” day. I LOVE the idea of having a list of things to get through during an interval! I’ve been trying to utilize index cards for certain chores, and especially
    my paper planner – I am so easily distracted when I get onto anything digital. And I completely understand the concern with having kids see us on a device – my son complained to me that I am always on my computer, which is primarily me responding to my husband’s emails during the day, ordering groceries, updating our finances, etc. So “good things” but maybe not “best”?

I need to sit down and look at household chores that don’t need to be done every day or even every week, come up with a “loop schedule” for those tasks and start getting those done on my heavy clean days.

Kortney Garrison
    Participant

I’m using Simply Clean by Becky Rapinchuk for those ideas of other jobs that need to be done but aren’t a part of the regular routine.

Emily Brown
      Participant

Ooo, fortunately, my library has a copy! Maybe it’ll be ready for me to pick up before week 6 of the next round…I’m looking forward to reading it!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.