Homemade Hummus Recipe Without Tahini
Hummus, I decided, needs a bit of sesame to be right.
Simple, Frugal No-Tahini Hummus Recipe
- Soak dry chickpeas overnight.
- Cook chickpeas in plenty of salted, slowly simmering water until they are quite tender.
- Drain the chickpeas, but keep the water (chickpea broth!).
- Taste a chickpea, add more salt if needed. Add a sprinkle of garlic powder, a dash of sesame oil, and a drizzle of olive oil. Start with small quantities.
- Blend in a blender, food processor, or with an immersion blender. Add chickpea broth or olive oil as required to get a good consistency.
- Taste and adjust seasonings as desired.
Alternatively, of course, you can use canned chickpeas in place of steps 1 & 2.
Serve hummus on crackers, bread, soft pretzels (I bake mine into small squares or sticks as pictured above), carrots, other raw veggies, or spread in tortillas.
What other ways do you eat hummus?
Plan ALL the meals!
The Simplified Pantry menu plans make it easy! Menu planning shouldn’t require magic to make everything come together. Find out how quick and simple menu planning can be with the Simplified Pantry system – get started for free!